Thursday, September 2, 2010

Oh Baby, The Things You Will Need.

When I found out I was pregnant with Baby D the wheels started spinning. We were SO excited. We were bringing a little person into this world. But in the back of my mind all I could think about was all the stuff we needed and the lack of space we had for it. I needed to find a crib, but it had to be a non-toxic,eco-friendly kind of crib. I needed a stroller, but it had to be one that was easy to collapse and one that had tall enough handles because I'm a tall mama. We needed a tub, bottles, a Boppy, a breast pump, diapers, wipes, a changing table, a diaper bag, clothes...you get where I am going with this. We needed a lot of STUFF for such a tiny little person. And so the saga of baby registering began for us.

I was overwhelmed from the word baby. I didn't even know where to start. People wanted to have baby showers for me, but I hadn't even stepped foot into a store. I had searched for stuff online because that was a safe place for me. I could search online at all hours of the night and I didn't get that overwhelming fear of stepping into a store. The thought of going into a baby store just made me cringe! I don't deal well with a lot of stuff in places. It gets to be too much for me and I jet. I want nothing to do with it. AT. ALL.

I needed to begin the process of registering for Baby D, and all that is needed to make this tiny person happy. I decided on the 2 stores that were pretty popular and an online store that offered things from all kids of stores. All I needed was a Zanax and one of those guns they give you to scan things and I was good to go. I must have been a few glasses of wine in when I thought the above would be ok for me to do!

The husband and I were going to make a day of this registering and have fun with it. That was easy enough. After all, this is supposed to be one of the most exciting times our lives.(The baby, not the registering!) We set out on the path and hit a huge bump in the road in the form of a full on meltdown in Babies R Us. People were looking at me like I had lost my shiz. It was all just too much for me. I started to panic. I felt like diapers and wipes were closing in on me! I had to get out of there and fast. The husband didn't understand what was wrong and why I flipped. I think he questioned who he married! He had never seen me in this state and he had the fear of "I married a crazy person" in his eyes. Do I need 3 towels or 6? Do I need washcloths, too, or can I just use ours? Do I need a Diaper Genie or can we just use a trashcan? What about the mattress? Does it have to be Organic or is it ok just to have what we all did years ago? It NEVER freakin' ended! I questioned EVERY. SINGLE. THING!

After a few weeks of not looking at "stuff" online and avoiding the baby section of Target like the plague, I managed to get it together and register for some things that I thought Baby D would need. Of course, there were things we didn't need and things I wish I would have asked for but didn't. In the end we received some amazing things from friends and fam. Baby D is set in the shoe department and he doesn't even walk! What is it with people and baby shoes?!? In the end I embraced the registering and tried to enjoy it as much as I could. This little baby boy was going to be my life and I all that came with it whether I liked it or not!

Please tell me I am not the only one who had these crazy anxieties. Please!!!!

3 comments:

Sweet Harper said...

We registered when we were pregnant with our first and we didn't know what we were having. Seeing my friends that have had babies since I have come to a conclusion...Not knowing what we were having, I think we got more from our registry. Whereas, people who know what they're having get all the cute shoes and outfits. Regardless, I couldn't believe how generous people were when it came to baby gifts!

OT and ET said...

Oh my gosh yes the overwhelmingness of Babies R Us freaked us out too! The first time we tried we just took a look around (like from the front entrance) and decided it was too busy we'd come back later. The 2nd time we put like 10 things on the registry and 100 on the "research list" to take home & figure out what we wanted/needed. We ended up making six or seven trips to register & i'd go online and tweak the list constantly! So it's not just you! #soulsister! This baby thing is crazy making! Haha but then you seem like such a chill mama. And an awesome one! D is lucky he's got you spazzing out on his behalf!

Mama Gaga said...

I am experiencing this right now! Early on in our pregnancy my mom thought it would be fun to start registering at Babies R' Us when I was home for a visit. My husband and I were SO overwhelmed we walked out having registered for 1 item -- Soothies Pacifiers. And I'm still doubting *that* choice! I just feel like having a baby in itself is this major responsibility and I want every item I pick out for him to be safe and perfect...and did I say safe? :) Now that our birth date is 4 months away and people are starting to ask more and more about when we can have a shower, I feel like it's time to revisit the world of registering. Hopefully we'll have better luck this time. Any advice/reviews you've got on must-have items would be greatly appreciated!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...